Upgrade from Canon EOS SL2/200D

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Casualshots_1 New Member • Posts: 7
Upgrade from Canon EOS SL2/200D

I am looking to upgrade my setup from Canon EOS SL2/200D. Details about my current set-up captured below

1. Current Camera - Canon EOS SL2/200D

2. Lenses : 18-55mm Kit, 24mm EFS prime, 50mm EF prime, 55-250mm EFS

3. Need - Have recently got interested in bird photography and that is what I am looking at this new set-up to help me with. I am looking at 600mm equivalent focal length. For my day to day needs (family pics) I have a Fuji X100V.

4. Budget - Camera + Lens - $2000

5. Thought process - Avoiding DSLR cameras since they are towards the fag end of their life.

a. Fuji - Love the thought of acquiring an XT3 but very limited budget telephoto options to satisfy 600mm equivalent focal length. Fuji 100-400mm is out of my budget.

b. Sony - Don't like their APS-C options. Owned a5100 in the past and not a fan of the ergonomics. Also, its not value for money with the dated sensors. Also, don't think Sony is interested in maintaining their APS-C line of cameras. Full Frame cameras would be out of budget and Sony native glass (FF) is again not for the budget oriented

c. Nikon - Like the Z mirror-less line of cameras but native lens options are limited as of now. In my budget, I could pick a 3rd party lens and pair it with Z50 but compatibility might be an issue.

d. Canon - RF line of cameras are way over my budget. I like the Canon M6 II as an option as I can use my current glass and also acquire a 3rd party super telephoto. In the DP review studio comparison though, High ISO performance (noise) of M6 II seems to be inferior to Z50, XT3. In fact it seems similar to my SL2.

e. MFT - Have been contemplating the idea of Panasonic G9 + Lumix 100-300mm. Ofcourse the high iso performance would be inferior to other cameras in question but this will fit my budget nicely but have read so much about the imminent death of MFT system as a whole that I not able to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Casualshots_1's gear list:Casualshots_1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon 18-55 F4-5.6 IS STM
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow