Upgrading my PC

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
KayL Contributing Member • Posts: 607
Re: Upgrading my PC

teddyboy wrote:

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my 9 year old Win 10 machine by swapping out some components and keeping others to minimize cost ( and landfill materials ). It works fine, just getting a bit slow. My main use, on top of light Word/Excel/Outlook use and web browsing, would be photo-editing (Capture One, Lightroom, Photoshop), and occasionally making slide-shows (ProShow Producer) from my photos. I am a hobbyist so workload is light, the only time I batch process files is when I am outputting/exporting files (somewhere between 30-100 at a time), or rendering a slide-show made up of maybe 30-100 pictures. I do no gaming at all.

Following is what my system is like and what I am planning on doing:

Components to swap out:

Motherboard: ASUS P8H67 M-EVO, to be replaced with MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Quite a beefy motherboard for the 3400G, but good choice with providing future CPU upgrade options. The MAX should support 3400G out of the box, but worth checking with the seller if the installed BIOS is compatible.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @3.3 GHz, to be replaced with AMD Ryzen 3400G @3.7 GHz

A gentle upgrade IMO (about 20% higher IPC, and multithreading) but would look into moving up to a stronger CPU + GPU in the future when funds permit. 3400G is actually 2nd generation Ryzen, and an overclocked 2500K might get pretty close to the 3400G's performance. Can you stretch your budget to something like a new-old-stock 2600/2700 and GTX1050Ti/RX570 (or much newer, which is preferable)?

iGPU: integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000, to be replaced with integrated Vega 11

Cooler: Corsair A50 120mm, to be replaced with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 120mm

Try the Wraith Spire that comes with the 3400G first. The A50 should be good enough for the 3400G as well, but I guess the issue here is having the correct mounting bracket.

RAM: G Skill RipjawsX F3-10666CL0-8GBXL DDR3 2x8GB, to be replaced with Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz C16 2x16GB

32GB RAM is good

Components to keep:

Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB SSD ( current usage under 30%)

PSU: OCZ StealthXtreme2 700W ATX 12V 20+4 pin 80+ (current load under 400W)

Case: Thermaltake V3 mid-tower ATX

Monitor: NEC EA231WMi IPS 1920x1080 (no immediate plan for newer bigger monitor)

Keep in mind that motherboard HDMI can't drive 4K at higher than 30Hz refresh, if you change your mind about upgrading this

Others: 3 SATA HDD for data and backup, wired keyboard and mouse

Does this sound like a reasonable upgrade? Would I see any improvements at all?

Sounds good to me A capable framework for future CPU, GPU, and M.2 SSD upgrades. I see your proposal as a foundational upgrade, rather than an outright processing upgrade - with B450 offering future compatibility with Ryzen 5000 series. With Intel you're kind of stuck with the generation that you bought first time.

KayL's gear list:KayL's gear list
Kodak DC215
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow