Is anyone experience "back button focus" issue like this?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
WayneDST
OP WayneDST Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: Is anyone experience "back button focus" issue like this?

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

WayneDST wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

WayneDST wrote:

I am trying M mode + BBF today. It shuld be kind of "focus jump" check this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CEpgbOS3-W_2gR3ZRB8rkinAgXVRZrPZ/view?usp=drivesdk

The "focus jump" happens, when using BBF+M mode on my xt3+56.2. There will be no jump when fully manual focus by roating the focus ring.

My guess is the BBF is assigned by the firmware. Maybe this issue could be solve by the firmware update.

Hi Wayne, I’ve heard of that focus jumping problem before with the 56, but I’ve never had mine do it (X-T2/X-T20). It’s hard to see what’s going on in the video, but I assume it focuses normally with the button and then intermittently jumps when you press the shutter button?

Ha, I got my xt2 to do it with the 56. I tried once in the past and it never would, but now it does. The 16-55 won’t do it though. In M mode, I usually use the BBF to get the focus quickly in the ballpark and fine tune manually, so it’s not really a big deal, but it’s annoying just the same. I’ll have to see if my X-T20 will do it too.

So it could happen only using old lens model with newer body. It now a really problem, however, usually the focus point will jump forward/backward and jump back to the focal point it should be when I half-press the shutter. But it may be a problem when I using BBF then recomposite quicky and full press the shutter, focus jump will still occur during I half-to-full press the shutter button. Under shutter priority mode, I am worry there could be a possibility getting blur image because of the focus jump.

And a bigger focus jump at longer focus range, that could be a serious issue.

I always use S mode and a half-press and recompose with the shutter button for that.

Yes, there will be no problem at all. The AF works amazing since fw upgrade. So far everything works great except for the BBF w/ 56.2 doesn't work that well.

WayneDST's gear list:WayneDST's gear list
Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow