2020 Camera Shopping

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bookz Regular Member • Posts: 261
2020 Camera Shopping

It's not just the constant low-level Covid worries and its impact on world economy that are preventing me from wanting to upgrade my camera. I'm at a loss as to what I would gain by gifting myself a modern camera. The full frame upscale mirrorless market is confusing.

I know the basic arguments and am interested in full frame for the better high iso / pixel quality. From current users who upgraded from crop sensors do you feel the upgrade was worth it (caveat is that I do not anticipate shooting much video.)?

My main desire is decent quality/no big prints, light weight/ergonomic/convenient to use, a kit lens with 24mm wide end that gets into portrait lengths with around f4. 24-70f4 is fine.  I want something that is light enough to sling over my shoulder and take everywhere I go with image quality, DOF, AF and zoom ability that smashes a smart phone.  I mainly take portrait/travel pictures.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to finish building out my current d7200/d3400 dx kit (I would like a crop wide angle zoom, FF 100-400 telephoto, and possibly a crop 16-80mm kit lens upgrade)

I like OVF, but have used the Z6 a bit and didn't mind the EVF.  When I put it all down on paper, upgrading the body doesn't seem all that compelling.  Neither does spending money on used lenses for my current bodies when both lenses and body are nearly obsolete.  One thing I noticed in putting together my chart is the FF mirrorless get pretty front heavy with anything longer than 70mm.

bookz's gear list:bookz's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow