Worth getting the Canon R6 for just the f1.8 and f2.0 lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Re: Worth getting the Canon R6 for just the f1.8 and f2.0 lenses?

thunder storm wrote:

starfly wrote:

Hoping Sigma will still come to RF mount with f/1.4 primes in the next year or two.

Would be nice. If that new compact Sigma 85mm f/1.4 for the Sony mount comes over to RF mount and Sigma does a 50mm like that i will order those lenses in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but it's a big IF though. Lots of rumors, but still no announcements, and RF mount has been around for 2 years now. But perhaps with the R5/R6 being so popular and Canon now clearly having indicated they're committed to mirrorless, it definitely provides an incentive for Sigma to start making lenses for RF mount, as Canon has a large share of the overall market, and I'll bet their share of mirrorless will rise against Sony.

But it'll all depend on whether they can reverse engineer the RF protocol to take advantage of the new technology, and on whether Canon isn't going to block them from doing so.

In my mind Canon makes some of the best zoom and long tele lenses (when getting L of course), but for primes I think their f/1.2 stuff is overpriced and overkill for most photographers.  I was hoping for f/1.8 L primes, but of course that's not going to happen, and f/1.4 from Canon will probably take years.  Hopefully 3rd parties such as Sigma can fill that gap.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow