Triopd vs monopod with gimbal head, lens OS question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cutterpup
cutterpup Senior Member • Posts: 1,243
Triopd vs monopod with gimbal head, lens OS question

I am posting this question here (rather than in another forum), after much thought, as for I am a beginner in this situation.

I have a Sigma 150-600 c lens, using it with a Nikon D7200.  I understand that Sigma recommends keeping the OS off when used on a tripod.

I know a few BIF photographers, none using Sigma lenses, that shoot with a gimbal head mounted to a monopod  that has added on support "feet".  They say that the combination allows them to have their lens supported without feeling like they are stuck on one spot by the tripod.

In that situation would you consider the lens on a tripod and keep the OS off or would you put the OS on?

I am planning on doing tests my self as time goes by.  Right now I have a pan tilt head and a ball head.  I have been using the pan tilt with my sigma lens on the tripod.  I have a gimbal head coming in to try out.  But alas, no feet for my monopod.

Looking to get the best I can from this lens.

cutterpup's gear list:cutterpup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 +12 more
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow