Nikon D850 and 500mm lens

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,159
Re: Nikon D850 and 500mm lens

michaeladawson wrote:

lokatz wrote:

I caused an $800 repair once, by carrying a D500 with the 200-500 lens and attaching the strap to the body rather than the lens. Cracked the mount WITHOUT dropping my gear. Learned my lesson there: always attach your strap to the heavy lens rather than the lighter body.

Exactly. Personal opinion, but I also find that attaching a strap to the lens is simplay a more comfortable way to carry the lens. I'll usually still put my hand on the lens foot while I'm walking but that's to restrict the swaying.

I used to cringe at the horror stories with BlackRapid straps. Swore I'd never use one. Now I do. An excellent strap option. I even went so far as to buy the Kirk foot and quick release swivel. Horror of horrors!!

Slightly off topic - Look at all the dented cars on the road. I've had a car drive right out a parking lot entrance and into the side of my car while I was stopped at a stop sign. I've been at a standstill in a parking lot behind other cars and had a car back out of a stall right into me. I've been driving in the right hand lane at the speed limit on a straight expressway and had a car change lanes right into the left rear of my car.

If you were in Toronto, that would be the problem right there.

None of these incidents were remotely my fault and there's nothing I could have done to prevent any of them short of not owning a car. The point is, $&%# happens. If my camera falls off my BlackRapid strap it's no big deal. And this time it probably is my fault for not making sure it was tight.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow