Nikon D850 and 500mm lens

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,890
Re: Nikon D850 and 500mm lens

lokatz wrote:

I caused an $800 repair once, by carrying a D500 with the 200-500 lens and attaching the strap to the body rather than the lens. Cracked the mount WITHOUT dropping my gear. Learned my lesson there: always attach your strap to the heavy lens rather than the lighter body.

Exactly.  Personal opinion, but I also find that attaching a strap to the lens is simplay a more comfortable way to carry the lens.  I'll usually still put my hand on the lens foot while I'm walking but that's to restrict the swaying.

I used to cringe at the horror stories with BlackRapid straps.  Swore I'd never use one.  Now I do.  An excellent strap option.  I even went so far as to buy the Kirk foot and quick release swivel.  Horror of horrors!!

Slightly off topic - Look at all the dented cars on the road.  I've had a car drive right out a parking lot entrance and into the side of my car while I was stopped at a stop sign.  I've been at a standstill in a parking lot behind other cars and had a car back out of a stall right into me.  I've been driving in the right hand lane at the speed limit on a straight expressway and had a car change lanes right into the left rear of my car.

None of these incidents were remotely my fault and there's nothing I could have done to prevent any of them short of not owning a car.  The point is, $&%# happens.  If my camera falls off my BlackRapid strap it's no big deal.  And this time it probably is my fault for not making sure it was tight.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow