D40 Pics--with a few from my D500 tossed in

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,630
D40 Pics--with a few from my D500 tossed in

Here it goes. I will not comment on the colors of the different images. Think what you will. I will add some comments at the end about other things. The first few images will be in pairs, the first shot with the D40, the second from the D500:

A few just from the D40 for your viewing pleasure:

The shots above were all processed in Photoshop Elements 2020 starting from raw and with few enhancements outside of noise reduction and sharpening. But, I don't always try for a naturalist approach. Here are a couple with the first the starting point and the second the final result:

Important to me are the different file sizes of the final jpegs.  D40 images are consistently smaller than 1mb unless I resize them as I did with the abstract. I haven't printed any of them so cannot be sure how large I can make a print.  I usually go as big as 13x19 with my D610 or D500.  For those who like to pixel peep, forget about it.  The D40 images break down pretty quickly as one magnifies an image. On the bright side, uploading and processing times are cut down dramatically.  The images almost magically appear upon import or export into or out of Elements and any of my plug-ins. It is a very light camera so a good companion with a short prime alongside my D500 with a long lens.  It offers an experience about as different from the D500 as possible.  3 af points, a very brief menu, few external controls, no focus motor.  I have older D lenses so can only use my newer ones if I want af.

So, what do you think?  Is there a significant difference between the images in terms of color?  If so, do you prefer one over the other?  In your mind, are the results more a product of the software than the sensor?  I did use a Tamron 35 1.8 for these comparison shots.  I have some using my Tamron 100-400 but most of those were taken just with my D500. I tried to keep the settings similar.  As you can see, there are some iso differences plus in one pair the cameras were set to slightly different apertures.  These are real world images with a side order of science. Not meant to be definitive.

I could run some comparisons with my D610 at some point but such efforts tire me out.  I wound up taking a lot more pics with my D500 during the test run. That is answer enough for me.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D40 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow