Lens dilemma.

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 3,987
Re: Lens dilemma.

Sumlameusername wrote:

Here is my problem... I bought and have been using a D5200 it came at a good price, it came with a 18-55, and 55-200 VR lenses and I also bought a 50mm 1.8g lens.

I love this little camera... It takes great pictures "But" I shoot manual and have the camera configured quite well given the options available but really wish I had a top down viewfinder and exposure dial, so when I came across a pristine D7100 with a 2k count I couldn't pass it up, this is the camera I wanted to learn on all along as I don't plan on upgrading for years.

So! now I have two camera's I was always going to sell the D5200 if the right D7100 came along and it has but I'm not made of money and can't go round buying new lenses left right and center.

Do I sell the 5200 with the two kit lenses make my money back and start again? (I would rather a 35mm 1.8 over an 18-55) & shop for good second hand lenses.

You won;t get money back but why keep it?

Or keep the lenses and sell body only???

I'm shooting kid's, family, & portrait mainly...

Keep the 50 F1.8 as portrait lens.

And as mostly kids and family after that, I'd get the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM which can be had at good prices mint used condition, is a massive step up in IQ from the slow kit lenses in terms of contrast, sharpness and colour and has much faster AF.

Gives you a good mid range zoom.

The 35mm F1.8G DX has amazing IQ (but very nervous bokeh) but a very cheap, week and thus slow version of Nikon's SWM (silent wave motor) AF so won't be good for fast moving kids, (I owned it and found it too slow for street photography) whereas the sigma has your back with very fast AF it really does, almost prime level IQ (it reviews optically better than the Nikon 17-55 F2.8 which speaks volumes) and you have your 50mm F1.8 for bokeh portraiture....

I don't shoot longer than 50mm on APSC myself so cannot comment on the tele zoom as I'd never use it as prefer to get close...  guess depends if you do kids playing sports or not....

As always, any hints, tips, & advice are much appreciated... I thank you in advance.

Otherwise switch to Canon for the excellent (and amazingly affordable) EF-S 10-18mm, EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM pancake, EF 50mm F1.8 STM.

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow