Photography is going backwards!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffSlade
JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 496
Re: Photography is going backwards!

Weegee wrote:

For "serious" photographers in the old film days, the ultimate goal was to make big, beautiful prints.

So, as a serious photographer and asked to see your work, 90% of your audience will view your work on an iPhone!

And unlike before your audience are photographers themselves in numbers never seen before in the old film days if they now view your work on their phone. In 2012 there were an estimated 4.4 billion camera phones in the world and it's now 2020!

Serious work now has to compete for eyeballs like never before because of all the new photographers the camera phone has created and enabled.

In the old days I would look at an image and beside the VISUAL enjoyment of the image I'd give extra credit to the image knowing what the photographer had to do to capture it, process it, and present it in a format for viewing.

These days I see an image and think probably an image captured by a camera phone. Piece of cake for the photographer so no extra credit.

These billions of new photographers with their camera phones, many who are producing excellent images, have redefined photography. They are moving photography forward and at a rapid rate.

As long as a few of us old timers avoid the happy hunting ground they'll be some who appreciate and give justice to the works of old.

All things come to an end, but every end is a new beginning. The cycle of life applies to the cycle of photography in my opinion. I neither like or dislike what the camera phone has created. I do my photography and let others decide for themselves.

-- hide signature --

I believe in wabi-sabi :a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. I appreciate beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billpoplawski/albums/with/72157716942456506

JeffSlade's gear list:JeffSlade's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow