Photography is going backwards!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,395
Re: Photography is going backwards!

Weegee wrote:

For "serious" photographers in the old film days, the ultimate goal was to make big, beautiful prints. What I mean by big was 16"X20" at the small end and 40"X60" at the larger end. Sort of Ansel Adams sizes ( yes, I know, he made many 8 x 10 contacts ). These were for home displays or gallery ( show ) displays. And of course, we wanted a certain quality for these big prints. 35mm was considered a bit too small for good 16"X20" prints. If you got up close ( like photographers tend to do ), the grain and lack of sharpness were a hindrance.

2-1/4 was the minimum size for 16"X20" or 30"X40". After that, 6 X 7 or 4 X 5 took over.

That wasn't the old days - in the real old days the minimum size was full plate. Don't confuse your early days with historic times.

All you are doing is looking at a snapshot moment.

When digital came along, it took at least 10 years to get to 6 mp cameras.

So what? It took a lot longer than that for film to come along from dry and wet plates. The time it took (takes) for technological developments has nothing to do with the end result of those developments.

That was a minimum for 16"X20" with some good interpolation software. At the same time the viewing methods changed. Computer screens were the thing. My first screens were 20" and I thought that was great. Not super sharp ( old CRT technology ), especially at the curved edges. Then we got 25 mp cameras with very sharp 30" flat screens. Excellent, but we stopped making prints.

Who is we? Lots of people still make prints so "we" haven't stopped.

All your work could be viewed at 30" without the cost of a print! I liked that and only made an occasional 20"X24" of my best work or to sell.

Now, no one has a desktop computer equipped with a large screen (except for professionals or serious amateurs. Everyone is either using a 15' laptop or iPad. Even worst, the iPhone.

In your old days "everyone" (that is, anyone not a serious amateur or professional) looked at their photos on prints that were 7x5" or smaller, and usually quite blurry. Today's digital devices are far better than that.

So, as a serious photographer and asked to see your work, 90% of your audience will view your work on an iPhone!

Whereas in the good old days only a very few people would look at all.

And, most people always view in the vertical mode!!! So your picture measure 3"X2". Why do we all want 50 mp cameras? It's like cars and horsepower. We love the 700 hp cars but we absolutely can't use them ( except on a race track ). The roads are too crowded and the police are everywhere!

A string of illogic. First, I don't care how anyone else views my photos - I take them for myself. I imagine this applies to most serious photographers - it's nice if others do look and appreciate our work but we can get by without it.

Like any other owner I can use my cameras any way I like. No one polices my use; no one crowds me out and limits what I can do. In what way does what you've said limit the way you use your gear?

My final point is that I've stopped sending photos because the recipient's viewing mechanism don't do them justice!

One other final note. If you have family photo albums, there's a good chance they will not be thrown out when you go to the happy hunting ground. All your cloud and hard drives will be. On top of that, there will be no mechanism to open up the files!!!!

Almost all family albums are thrown out; so are most computer drives. But my sister and I have digitised many old family photos and they are now saved on several drives instead of rotting away in one box.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow