Cost of Canon lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,975
Re: Cost of Canon lenses

gertcher wrote:

I have just bought a new Canon EOS R5, it on is way. I also bought an adaptor to use my EF lenses.

My last camera purchase was a Canon EOS 1000, so you can see I have made a huge upgrade, and I am totally out of touch with current trends and prices.

I have been looking at Canon RF lenses and astonished at the cost. I understand there are a couple more contacts, I cannot see the justification for a 3x price hike compared to my EF lenses.

Are the RF lenses a great leap forward in lens design? Are all lenses of this quality, no mater what make, now so expensive?

Yeah, way back then (~2008) you bought an entry-level camera with a smaller APS-C sensor. The lenses for it are smaller to match the size of the sensor and were designed and priced for consumers.

Now, you just purchased a professional-level camera with a large full-frame sensor. The lenses are larger and of high quality for professional use.

In addition, the entire camera market has shrunk to about 1/8 the size it was when you bought the 1000D. (something around 120 million cameras/year down to 15 million cameras/year). Cellphone cameras are now good enough for most people.

This is an industry-wide trend, not just a Canon trend. If you really need to back out of this, look at Canon's APS-C M-mount cameras for mirrorless (M50, M6, M200, etc) or Canon's APS-C DSLRs (850D, 90D etc). Canon's full-frame DSLRs (5D, 6D) could also be appropriate depending on what lenses you own.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow