Photography is going backwards!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Weegee
Weegee Senior Member • Posts: 2,827
Photography is going backwards!

For "serious" photographers in the old film days, the ultimate goal was to make big, beautiful prints. What I mean by big was 16"X20" at the small end and 40"X60" at the larger end.  Sort of Ansel Adams sizes ( yes, I know, he made many 8 x 10 contacts ). These were for home displays or gallery ( show ) displays. And of course, we wanted a certain quality for these big prints. 35mm was considered a bit too small for good 16"X20" prints. If you got up close ( like photographers tend to do ), the grain and lack of sharpness were a hindrance.

2-1/4 was the minimum size for 16"X20" or 30"X40". After that, 6 X 7 or 4 X 5 took over.

When digital came along, it took at least 10 years to get to 6 mp cameras. That was a minimum for 16"X20" with some good interpolation software. At the same time the viewing methods changed. Computer screens were the thing. My first screens were 20" and I thought that was great. Not super sharp ( old CRT technology ), especially at the curved edges. Then we got 25 mp cameras with very sharp 30" flat screens. Excellent, but we stopped making prints. All your work could be viewed at 30" without the cost of a print! I liked that and only made an occasional 20"X24" of my best work or to sell.

Now, no one has a desktop computer equipped with a large screen ( except for professionals or serious amateurs. Everyone is either using a 15' laptop or iPad. Even worst, the iPhone.

So, as a serious photographer and asked to see your work, 90% of your audience will view your work on an iPhone! And, most people always view in the vertical mode!!! So your picture measure 3"X2". Why do we all want 50 mp cameras? It's like cars and horsepower. We love the 700 hp cars but we absolutely can't use them ( except on a race track ). The roads are too crowded and the police are everywhere!

My final point is that I've stopped sending photos because the recipient's viewing mechanism don't do them justice!

One other final note. If you have family photo albums, there's a good chance they will not be thrown out when you go to the happy hunting ground. All your cloud and hard drives will be. On top of that, there will be no mechanism to open up the files!!!!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow