Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Re: Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

As others have said, get the combo. I have a Z7 and the 14-30 and really enjoy it for landscapes. I have also done astro with it but it really is not fast enough. The 14-24 is “only” one stop faster; the 20mm is more than two. That is a lot more light gathering in a single exposure. I don’t get the saturated Milky Ways I see with the 20 at the same shutter duration, which means I have to stack and then there are trails, etc.

You will seldom use the 14-24 at 2.8 other than astro, so its weight and size are a waste most of the time. Better get two lenses each that will do a great job at their purpose, and at  a lower cost. Right now the 14-30/20 combo is $2,050; the 14-24 is $2,400.

On another note: I got a Kawakarpo 6x ND for the 14-30. At the price it is a very nice ND filter, that is one thing you can do with your savings: buy more stuff.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow