skyglider wrote:

FingerPainter wrote:

skyglider wrote:

Not sure if your indoor problems are:

• Out of focus
  • Wrong colors
  • Pictures too dark

That said, try these for starters:

Let's do a sanity check of those recommendations.

Would you agree that a system reset puts the camera into manual ISO, probably at ISO 100, and set to take JPEGs, not RAW?

Would you agree that typical indoor lighting, when no special lights have been applied, is somewhere around EV6 for ISO 100? That's nine stops darker than full sun.

Let's assume that OP is using her kit 16-50mmm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens. We have no idea how big her stock is. She could be using 16mm or she could be using 50mm. Let's assume she is using a focal length at which the max aperture is f/4.

We have no idea of the tonal values and range of her stock. Let's just assume it is middle grey for now.

In P mode with EV6 (for ISO 100) light, the camera will set the lens wide open to f/4. That's four stops lighter than the f/16 used in the sunny 16 rule. There are nine stops less scene luminance than sunny 16 and four stops more exposure from lens aperture, so the camera needs to set the shutter speed to five stops below 1/125. That's 1/4 sec shutter. At such a shutter speed she will get significant camera motion blur at the focal length she is using, even with OSS enabled. Using any +ve EC will just add to the motion blur.

So frankly, your suggestions just make no sense for indoor photography.

I've already suggested lighting. Without lighting, the way to go would be Auto-ISO, M mode, aperture set to widest available or stopped down if wide open doesn't give enough DOF to cover the stock item, shutter set to no slower than 1 / (3/8 x focal length).

The shutter speed recommendation assumes she properly holds the camera, and that OSS is giving two stops of stabilization. The former may not be a good assumption. She may need a faster shutter. The latter is based both on testing by IR and my own experience with the lens on the same camera.

Guess you missed the " try these for starters:" part of my post.

Not trying to pin point specific indoor lighting conditions but just suggesting a starting point for the original poster not knowing whether the problem is focus, color or exposure.

He/she can follow your suggestions from there.

More egregiously, I missed that setting an a6000 back to default actually enables Auto-ISO. So much of my objection is mis-placed. I am sorry about that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow