Worth it to move to DXO/NIK from PSE/Google NIK?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 13,184
Re: Worth it to move to DXO/NIK from PSE/Google NIK?

Flycaster wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

nor70 wrote:

Hi Flycaster, the answer to your second question is that the Google NIK Collection works with DXO PL4, well it has for me 😊

Regards

Thanks, Nor. That's good news. I guess I'm now into deciding about DXO PL4. It's sharpening and denoising sounds good to me, but I also feel that NIK does a pretty good job here.

Are you mainly a raw shooter? Then DxO PL4 is for you. If you mainly shoot JPEGs, it's not.

Interesting. I generally shoot jpg+raw, using the jpg to cull out. But, I also try to get my jpgs to look good with minimal post. I guess you are placing DXO PL4 into the do everything category? I've been using PSE's ACR mainly for white balance (but not noise or sharpness) and then go into NIK>Dfine>raw sharpen>viveza>color efx4>maybe more sharpening and or Dfine> and lastly back to PSE to save. So, Nigel, I'm thinking that you are implying that with DXO PL4 + my Google NIK, I'll be able to do everything within DXO and not have to jump around?

Yes, all my images are shot raw and most are processed using only PhotoLab (including the ViewPoint and FilmPack options). Typically, images only need a minute or two's editing work, and that's it, as PL's tools are very productive. I don't see any need to use NIK.

A very small number of images need extra editing in a pixel editor, and I use Affinity Photo (eg, for complex object removal beyond the capabilities of PL's cloning tool), but PSE could also be used, albeit with limitations.

A few images also benefit from Topaz Sharpen AI. I used  to use Topaz DeNoise AI to finish off very noisy images, but DeepPRIME may make that redundant.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow