Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,679
Re: Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

lardo wrote:

Looking at ultra-wide lens for landscape, indoor, and astrophotography using a Z6 II.

Thinking of either:

• Two lens solution with the Z 14-30 f/4 and a separate prime lens for astro (Z 20 f/1.8?), or
  • One lens solution with the new Z 14-24 f/2.8.

As usual, there are tradeoffs for either option. I’ve gone back and forth a few times now...

Both the Z 14-30 f/4 and Z 14-24 f/2.8 sound like amazing lens.

If not considering astro, I’d get the Z 14-30 for its reduced cost/weight/size and longer focal range, even though I’d lose one-stop.

But when also considering astro, I’m leaning towards the Z 14-24, for a one lens solution and an additional one-stop for indoors wide shots.

Thoughts or other recommendations??

I am not a Z system user yet but shoot landscape and Astro, I prefer a dedicate lens for each application.

14-30 F4 is lighter and great for general landscape where large aperture is normally not required. also really easy to use filter, this is a big deal for landscape, i use GND, ND and CPL regularly.

For astro, I use Sigma 14 F1.8 Nikon mount, it's wide, fast, F1.8 vs 2.8 is a pretty big deal in Astro, I also own a 20 F1.8 but most of the time 20mm is not wide enough for the way I shoot, so the Sigma 14 1.8 is clear winner for me. So I am pretty sure this will be my dedicate Astro lens when I picked up the Z body later.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow