Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,729
Re: Wide landscape & astro: Z 14-24, or combo of Z 14-30 and prime for astro?

lardo wrote:

Looking at ultra-wide lens for landscape, indoor, and astrophotography using a Z6 II.

Thinking of either:

• Two lens solution with the Z 14-30 f/4 and a separate prime lens for astro (Z 20 f/1.8?), or
  • One lens solution with the new Z 14-24 f/2.8.

As usual, there are tradeoffs for either option. I’ve gone back and forth a few times now...

Both the Z 14-30 f/4 and Z 14-24 f/2.8 sound like amazing lens.

If not considering astro, I’d get the Z 14-30 for its reduced cost/weight/size and longer focal range, even though I’d lose one-stop.

But when also considering astro, I’m leaning towards the Z 14-24, for a one lens solution and an additional one-stop for indoors wide shots.

Thoughts or other recommendations??

I would consider the cost of filter systems for both, especially if you need circ polarizing or neutral density filters for landscape, or or a light pollution filter for astro. There are more options for the 82mm filters required for the 14-30, and will be significantly cheaper than a filter system for the 14-24. They could also be used with a 77mm-82mm step-up ring on the 20mm 1.8. Something else to consider is the size. The 14-30 on my Z5 is a great match, relatively compact and light. There are also budget-friendly manual lens options for astro, in Z and F mount, by Viltrox (20mm f1.8), Rokinon/Samyang, Irix, Laowa/Venus, etc. One other option is to get a star tracker and use that with the 14-30.

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow