Nikon D3500 or Sony A7 III ? (Also Sony A6600 or Nikon Z50) for absolute beginner

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,384
Re: Nikon D3500 or Sony A7 III ? (Also Sony A6600 or Nikon Z50) for absolute beginner

Getting any of these cameras will produce shots with good detail. However, it is the right light that will actually make a shot much better. I would not expect much better photos just putting a camera on auto and pointing it at whatever happens. The best way to get better is learn to recognize good light and take the shot at that time. Just a disclaimer.

That being said, a dedicated camera will produce superior shots if you do learn to do that.

Out of the cameras you listed, I would go with the Z50 or A7III. The D3500 as you said is not as advanced for video and the A6600 might annoy you with its higher than average rolling shutter. The Z50 and A7III are better in that regard. The latter has IBIS which helps a lot for lower-light portraits when the subjects are not moving.

You would also need to get a proper lens. For taking shots of people I suggest a nice fast prime, somewhere in the 35-50mm range and f/1.8 or faster.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow