Does Russian grease always do this?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tons o Glass 0 Class
Tons o Glass 0 Class Contributing Member • Posts: 742
Does Russian grease always do this?

I ended up doing a full CLA on my Industar 61 L/Z-MC this week because I noticed some grease seeping out of the mount.

And oh my god, what a greasy mess the job was! Grease/oil was literally everywhere, including gobs of it on the metal housing for each element/group. It was very doable but time-consuming. I used Helimax-XP for everything that needs lubrication. It's much smoother and lighter in feel all-around (perhaps a tad too light for this particular lens - the focus ring's main helicoid threads aren't very deep so there is less contact).

Along with getting everywhere else, this grease managed to wick inside the adapter that was on it!

sheesh! Taken with the fresh Industar.

The grease/oil in this lens was rather pungent, so I think the lens is better off now that it's cleaned and lubed.

This lens was stored upside-down with the adapter and a cap installed in a clear-covered shelf that never receives direct sunlight or gets hotter than ambient temperatures (which are not extreme in my area).  Does Russian grease always do this? Is this what happens to this particular grease when the lens gets too hot at some point in its lifetime? Should I be proactive with my Helios 44-2s (all of which smell similar)?

Tons o Glass 0 Class's gear list:Tons o Glass 0 Class's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 Sony a7 II YI M1 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow