Upgrading my PC

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
teddyboy New Member • Posts: 19
Upgrading my PC

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my 9 year old Win 10 machine by swapping out some components and keeping others to minimize cost ( and landfill materials ). It works fine, just getting a bit slow. My main use, on top of light Word/Excel/Outlook use and web browsing, would be photo-editing (Capture One, Lightroom, Photoshop), and occasionally making slide-shows (ProShow Producer) from my photos. I am a hobbyist so workload is light, the only time I batch process files is when I am outputting/exporting files (somewhere between 30-100 at a time), or rendering a slide-show made up of maybe 30-100 pictures. I do no gaming at all.

Following is what my system is like and what I am planning on doing:

Components to swap out:

Motherboard: ASUS P8H67 M-EVO, to be replaced with MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @3.3 GHz, to be replaced with AMD Ryzen 3400G @3.7 GHz

iGPU: integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000, to be replaced with integrated Vega 11

Cooler: Corsair A50 120mm, to be replaced with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 120mm

RAM: G Skill RipjawsX F3-10666CL0-8GBXL DDR3 2x8GB, to be replaced with Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz C16 2x16GB

Components to keep:

Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB SSD ( current usage under 30%)

PSU: OCZ StealthXtreme2 700W ATX 12V 20+4 pin 80+ (current load under 400W)

Case: Thermaltake V3 mid-tower ATX

Monitor: NEC EA231WMi IPS 1920x1080 (no immediate plan for newer bigger monitor)

Others: 3 SATA HDD for data and backup, wired keyboard and mouse

Does this sound like a reasonable upgrade? Would I see any improvements at all?

Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow