Pentax K-1 II (or successor) vs Fuji X-T4

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Pentax K-1 II (or successor) vs Fuji X-T4

tugatomsk wrote:

I've always liked Pentax's ergonomic philosophy of their cameras; in fact, I like them the most. But things such as old video tech and live view usage have always put me off. I really hope the sensor of the new K-3 III (and the new K-1 III?) includes phase-detection.

But recently, I've grown fond of the Fujis X-T4 and the X-S10. However, the Fujis are still very expensive (the K-1 II can be purchased at roughly the same price as the X-T4), and I'm still concerned about battery life of mirrorless cameras. So the Pentax offerings are still worth considering to me.

On the other hand, I considered the Pentax K-1 II because I just love its ergonomics: the buttons placement and many dials while still retaining the top plate LCD. I'd look the other way regarding its larger size just for that. I find it even better than the Pentax K-3 III ergonomics.

But upon comparing image quality between the X-T4 and the fullframe K-1 II on DPReview's Studio, apparently the APS-C sensor of the X-T4 is better than the one found in the K-1 II, even though the latter is FF, especially at higher ISO. Is the X-T4 sensor that good or is the K-1 II that bad, or is it just old?

Here's the comparison:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xt4&attr13_1=pentax_k1ii&attr13_2=apple_iphonex&attr13_3=apple_iphonex&attr15_0=jpeg&attr15_1=jpeg&attr15_2=jpeg&attr15_3=jpeg&attr16_0=12800&attr16_1=12800&attr16_2=32&attr16_3=32&attr126_0=1&attr126_1=1&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0.7301575279832506&y=-0.6396732532216064

choose with your heart rather than head, i do not think you can go wrong with either.

k-1ii will have better image quality than x-t4 - higher resolution with more than twice as large sensor will allow you to capture significantly more detail. on top of that, you will get higher dynamic range and better high iso performance. purely for photography, k-1 (ii) is still a killer camera and the entire system with lenses is an excellent value for money, if you do not require top of the class autofocus for fast action. on video front it falls behind the mirrorless competition. people are concerned about the future of pentax, but i would not worry too much, they will be around for some time. i would personally go with k-1 mark i, but they are difficult to come by.

x-t4 is a lovely camera, i had fuji x-h1 in the past and really liked it. x-t4 will give you excellent video capabilities, features like eye af, generally better, more flexible af system and ultimately a smaller package to carry around. fuji glass is generally very good and they recently opened the x-mount to third party manufacturers, so there will be plenty to choose from. image quality is definitely sufficient unless you stretch the print too much.

if autofocus is not your top priority, have a look at the x-h1. it has a larger, stronger body, better grip, two axis tilt screen (which some prefer to fully articulating screen), dampened mechanical shutter, nice top lcd screen, image stabilisation, reasonable video spec and it can be had for half the price of x-t4.

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow