Gear Snobs and General Gear / Photography Knowledge.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
johncal Regular Member • Posts: 389
Gear Snobs and General Gear / Photography Knowledge.

I actually started writing this as a response on another thread but decided it needed it's own space. I agree to some extent with those talking about the advantages of the latest and greatest gear. I went from a 70D to an EOS R. While the difference between those 2 cameras technologically is like day and night, and I get amazing images with ease with the EOS R it's not the end all be all. I also can get some pretty remarkable images with my 23mp APSC Crop Sensor 70D. I just have to work a bit harder to get the results and know the physical limitations of the camera and work around them. When I do my slide show presentations on a 55 inch monitor with fully processed images from both cameras it can be very difficult to tell what came from what camera.

I am super glad, for everyone able to get themselves an R5 and some of the greatest new RF lenses ever, but I would also encourage those with older equipment to be happy with what they have and learn how to use that gear to the fullest. I think people (including myself at one point) always thought their greatest photo ever lie with their next great piece of high tech equipment. That could not be further from the truth. In fact, I learned on a fully manual 35mm film camera and I would argue that made me a much better photographer because I actually knew why I was doing what I was doing. The land of AI auto cameras takes that learning experience away from many and it's a shame

I find it sad that people are complaining about animal eye detection not being good enough, or 12 frames per second not fast enough. really? I managed to get nice sharp images the hard way. Just figure it out, and actually learn something. So what if it's a lot harder to get the results with a little more work? I know when you're a pro, doing weddings, or sports, you don't have the time, and can't afford missed opportunities. I get that, but you guys (if you're pros) already know those basics and aren't buying that gear without a tremendous knowledge and justified need behind why you HAVE TO HAVE that high tech gear.

Some of the best images taken in history were taken 100 years ago and they didn't have an R5. I know Ansel Adams didn't. It's not always about the gear and I certainly never want to be a gear snob. And we seem to have plenty of those that look down on others with older equipment round here. Again, I'm super happy when people get new gear, but sometimes they get it because everyone tells them that's what they need, and sometimes that's not true at all. And people feel like losers if they don't keep up with the Jones. I feel way more reward having to work hard to get a good image. At least I know how and why I got it.

Another thing I noticed its that for all the talk about all the great new gear, almost nobody spends nearly as much time talking about post processing and piecing together multiple exposures to create one image. I would be willing to bet you you can get way more out of knowing how to use multiple exposures and/or processing techniques to get way better results than camera upgrades alone in most instances. I put my post processing software easily as being just if not more important than camera gear so long as I can get the raw pieces of what I need to put together a great photo. I would recommend stepping back and focusing so to speak on your entire approach to photography from time to time and see if your skill set is as well balanced as it should be. You may find that improving your skills in a certain area may make you a much better photographer without buying new gear, and keep you from becoming a Gear Snob

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD +6 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow