The Lens That Delivers The Goods

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,198
Re: The Lens That Delivers The Goods

ProDude wrote:

Many of us who have been at this for a while (say at least 20 or more years) we've become quite accustomed to seeing the ever changing landscape of models released. Time was that a given new model would come out say about every 2 years. Now it's anywhere from 6 months to a year. Tough on my VISA card to say the least I have little doubt the R1 will be another ground breaking technological wonder. However one has to ask themselves..........what am I NOT able to do with my current camera......what is it doing that annoys me and makes me want to switch.

Once those questions are answered it becomes a lot easier to part with the $$$. The last time I parted with the R5's amount of cost was when the original 1D was released (If I recall it was at least $4500). Now these days I actually make money more often off my gear so it's a tad more justifiable, but still it's never an easy decision. The R5 was about the easiest decision I've made on a camera body in that 20 years. The other changes I made were more emotional then as one said "need". The R5 thus far ticks all the boxes of what I want to accomplish with a camera body.

That said I don't believe I'll be one motivated to move to a R1 since shooting speeds aren't my priority as it is for so very many. And I don't see anyone complaining about focus speeds and lock capabilities. It's already like having a "nightscope" as it sees in the dark. So to this point I have no complaints or issues as some may have. Now it's time to belly up and start getting my RF lenses all appointed this next year. Just a few more and I should be there......I think:-P

I am pretty sure I am safe when it comes to the R1 to resist it. The weight is going to be more and it is going to be big like the 1DXIII.    For me that is a deal killer unless it does for focus what dual pixel focus did for me an action shooting.   Dual pixel means the camera knows when to go from a single focus to the infocus destination and it got their directly.  Contrast focus used earlier is amazingly accurate and easy to detect but to go the the point of focus correctly requires the lens to make multiple measurements while oscillating back and forth.  This takes more time.  Cross type detectors can check both in the horizontal and vertical directions to be sure in rough cases.   Quad pixel is like dual pixels with a cross capability.   This could help in the corner cases when focus lock now fail and it increase yield in focus accurate challlenged cases.  Quad offers twice much focus information to the DIGIC X computer.  All of this is the Pro side, and there is bound to be some Con side of the argument.  Only trying a real product will tell how important the first level of implementation will be. I expect the R5MkII will have a new DIGIC XI processor and a quad second generation quad pixel sensor, better 8K leadership video and the beat moves on.   It more like ly I am saving up for the next generation 5D tradition camera.  Their design philosophy and implementation well suits my needs.

I was considering the Sony A9 couple of years old.  For me it was big deal with 25 EF lenses it is expensive to change brands and big deal.   I know Sony Stacked CMOS Sensor Technology is hard to achieve and Canon did not have Stacked CMOS capability for producing a sensor.   This worried me because of the increasing challenge of rolling shutter in the newer generations of hybrid high density CMOS sensors.  64ms sensor readouts were common and not going to make it the future electronic shutter world with EVFs and flicker/lag free live view readouts.   Canon did an amazing job to achieve the competitive dynamic range and sensor readout speed in a camera capable of both stills and video without resorting to stacked CMOS.   The pushed the limits and got there.  The Sony advantage that attracted me to the A9 with stacked CMOS cooled considerably at the time because it had a very slow mechanical shutter for a real world action camera so I just could not pull the trigger on the A9 at the time.  The A9 mk II has a little faster shutter but is not close at all to the 20fps Canon mechanical shutter technology in the 1DXIII or the 12FPS fast and quiet mechanical shutter in R5.  Ultimately my EF L lense collection held me to Canon which is a good thing and I did not find a need to leave the many things I love about Canon (color rendering and ergonomics are near the top of my lidy) to relearn the Sony  system, menus, small buttons, and small/sharp edged bodies that I found troubling at first trial.

Most likely I am done with buy more gear for a couple of years.   I have enough gear.  I just need more practice and knowledge about how to better use the gear I have.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +38 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow