Fine art printer 17 or 24 inch to sit idle 6 months a year?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 2,483
Re: Fine art printer 17 or 24 inch to sit idle 6 months a year?

I think 6 months is a long time to leave the printer , I would suggest , as said by Mike earlier, to speak to Canon about a cleaning solution.

A few years back a special type of printing process required that you swapped inks for different processes... what the ink suppliers did, was offer a cleaning solution to put into the cartridge places, and pump through the printer to clear the lines and head of the " old" ink.   ONLY if Canon were to suggest it might be OK would I consider this. Who knows maybe they could see this as an extended benefit for their machines to offer cleaning cartridges....  However bear in mind that the refilling of the internal reservoirs and head would require about 2/3 of a set of inks, which over here at £40 a cart , would set you back £480 each time.

There is yet another alternative, buy and sell each year.  If you become known to local enthusiasts groups, there could be a line of buyers of a lightly used , well looked after printer.   This would steer me away from the Canon though as it has issues with being moved at anything but the horizontal.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow