Sony A6000 - Beginners Help Required

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Alphoid Veteran Member • Posts: 5,678
Re: Sony A6000 - Beginners Help Required

If colors are off or ugly, try:

• High-quality high-CRI bulbs. Home Depot sells Cree 5k bulbs for maybe $3 each. It's important all the bulbs be the same. I like 5k since it also plays well with having light coming in through windows
  • Manually set white balance. Use a $2 gray card (or a $0.01 white piece of paper). 

Both of these are worth doing even if colors aren't off, since colors will still look better.

One step up is proper studio lighting and learning how to paint with light. Following standard lighting (broad, short, etc.) portrait lighting and just trying to replicate it is a good place to start.

If images have noise or motion blur, things to try:

• Tripod. Spend at least $100-$200 to get a sturdy, stable used tripod. More gets you that, and compact / lightweight / easy-to-adjust / new. Do not, and I repeat, do not get a $30-$60 new tripod at your local store or an Amazon. I know you'll probably do this anyways -- but don't. No one listens to this advice. A good tripod last a lifetime, so a good investment here makes sense.
  • Wide aperture lens (e.g. f/1.8 or f/1.4).
  • Play with aperture, ISO, and shutter speed settings.
  • Learn to hold the camera steady. This is a learned skill which only comes with deliberate practice. 
  • Learn to time your photos. There are times when there's more and less motion blur. 
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow