Nikon z6 ii control rings and buttons - suggested customisations?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Morgs_B
OP Morgs_B Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Nikon z6 ii control rings and buttons - suggested customisations?

In M mode on my Z6, with an FTZ or S lens: Front dial is aperture. Rear dial is shutter speed. (my f5-change main/sub settings are Off.)

I like the f6-Release button to use dial = Yes:

For switching between Auto-ISO and ISO, I had to hold the ISO button and awkwardly turn the front dial with another finger. With this setting to Yes, I just press ISO, then turning the front dial switches back and forth between Auto-ISO to ISO.

Pressing ISO once, then using the rear dial, I can adjust ISO. (But I rarely do this, usually using auto-ISO, or setting a manual ISO via the rear screen.)

But the main advantage is for Exposure compensation. Just press the Exposure comp button, let it go, then use either the front or rear dial to adjust compensation. I can see the results as I click through and pick the best setting. No awkward two-finger operation.

For any of these operations, the ISO or Exposure comp number shows yellow on the display while it's able to be changed via a dial. I just half press the shutter to get out of dial change mode, and the number changes back to white as usual.

Setting with the touch screen

I didn't realize this right away when the Z6 was new. Any control on the rear display with a white box around it can be changed using a touch of the box. Including turning on or off the "Touch shutter" which triggers the shutter if I touch into the image -- I never use this, but it could be useful on a tripod.

This is really useful, thanks @jthomas39 

Morgs_B's gear list:Morgs_B's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon Z6 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow