D850 to ... Z7 - what improved (that mattered)? Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jlafferty Senior Member • Posts: 1,296
Re: D850 to ... Z7 - what improved (that mattered)?

Yeah, I think we’ve satisfactorily established that birders prefer the SLR for now

And some sports shooters.

But I’ll bet that for every person who finds the EVF repulsive, there’s another who says this until they start using it regularly, and won’t be able to go back to OVF without it feeling like a downgrade.

I was one of those people who had a strong dislike of the idea of an EVF until I owned one.

IBIS is one of those things that is so seamless I’ve forgotten about it. But the second you shoot some handheld video that you hope will look like it was shot on a tripod, it’s shocking how good it is.

thayes15 wrote:

I agree about EVF. Traditionally I hate them. They give me a headache. Even if not obvious they all seem to jitter. I know some EVF's have higher refresh rates than the Nikon z's and this might make all the difference. I've always been a huge OVF lover and still am.

But I don't think it's not a case of either/ or anymore but a case of both/and. As I said I think there are advantages and disadvantages.

The WYSIWYG of the EVF is outstanding. It's like seeing in the dark through the viewfinder in low light situations.

But if I was photographing BIF for instance, the OVF of the D850 would be far far more preferable. No image lag is a beautiful thing.

But for stills photography of still objects the Z is just a beautiful thing to use.

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow