Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
R5D4
R5D4 Contributing Member • Posts: 838
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

I would definitely get the RF 70-200 f4. I say this as an owner of the RF 70-200 f2.8 and previous owner of the EF 70-200 2.8.

First, adapted white zooms are extremely unwieldy on this system. The upgrade from EF to RF was a world of difference, and was worth every penny. The RF 2.8 is so nice and compact it can go with me everywhere.

The RF f4 is even better for this. If you don’t need an extra stop, the allure of having a compact 70-200 that matches a 24-105 for size and weight is simply stunning. It will make all the difference between leaving gear behind or not. Also, imagine every lens basically fitting in the same sized slots in your camera bag. There would be no difference between length when packing your gear away and no need to remove a lens, etc.

Steve W wrote:

So when I bought back into Canon with and EOS R I did not run out and buy all the big and expensive RF zooms I owned when I first shot Canon. I had moved over to Sony where I do have all those lenses but since I wasn't sure about the EOS R I hesitated.

I know have the R5 on order but don't have it in hand yet since I waited till October to decide to get it. I was not in a rush since I had plenty of gear to work with and wanted to see and read the reviews on the R5.

So now that I am buying back in I trying to decide between the two RF 70-200. In EF mount I owned the f/4L version first but did upgrade to the f/2.8L when I had the chance so I know the pluses and minuses of smaller f/4L vs the faster f/2.8L. The reason I am hesitating is when shooting with the EOS R I took the opportunity to buy a lightly use EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS. When you compare its adapted size and weight the extra weight gets you 100mm more reach which for travel is really attractive. The weight difference to the new 70-200 f/2.8L is the adapter only. It is also the height of the adapter taller. Here is a size comparison curtesy of camerasize.com

Adapted EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS vs. RF 70-200/4L IS and RF 70-200/2.8L IS

Edit: Also have the control ring based adapter so I get that functionality already with the EF lens.

So I am wondering if its worth spending 2x or 3.5x more money for either of the RF lenses. In the past I would rush out and spend the money for the latest and greatest but I guess I am getting more conservative in my old age especially since I am not getting to travel as much right now to take advantage of my kit. Also I know the RF 70-200 f/4L won't take the 1.4X teleconverter which I might have considered if I went down that path

So what do you think? Any opinions

https://j.mp/2IV7Kn7

R5D4's gear list:R5D4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow