Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,262
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

johncal wrote:

Steve W wrote:

davel33 wrote:

I dont think that 2.8 is a requirement near as much as it was, the R5 has better low light performance than the R and I dont use flash near as much as I did with my older bodies.

I would not make that decision till you get your R5

Well believe it or not I got my R5 today. Surprised it didn't take until December. Haven't had a chance today to put the 70-300 on it just yet. Hopefully some time this weekend. Wanted to test the eye AF on it so I put on the EF 85/1.4L IS instead. Another great EF lens that I decided to get that adapted very well on my EOS R and with an MC-11 onto my Sony bodies. I can already tell things are going to focus real quickly on the the new body.

I would say unless you need the small amount of speed improvement by changing over to the RF lens, I would use the money to get another lens that might prove to be more valuable in focal length or features. Other than the small speed difference , you can make pretty much any good lens look like any other good lens in software nowadays. Don't abandon your old friend that's served you well! Get him a new friend.

Always good advice. I know I already own too many lenses across three systems to use them all. With the R5 now in hand I will have to make a serious effort to decide what I keep and what I divest myself off. Need to figure out which Sony glass to sell to rebuild my Canon kit. There is so much glass available for all the systems that I really need to sit down and make a list of what I really will use and on what system.

For me for instance I know that an 85mm is my most use prime because I take a lot of portrait shots. After that its a 24-70/2.8 or a 24-105/4. In the past I would own both because one I used for travel and one for event work. Two really different applications IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow