Flaring on Nikon 14-24 2.8 lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Stephen1729 New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Flaring on Nikon 14-24 2.8 lens

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Like RBFresno I agree that flare is intrinsic to the 14-24. It almost seems to manufacture it.

Unlike RBFresno, I don't think it's easy to see in the viewfinder and head off in the field. Quite the contrary for me out here in the Arizona desert sun. It's so bright I can barely see the LCD to start with, even if I shade my view under my hat. At any rate, for me flare is a constant surprise.

Thanks for the informative reply. I like this forum. Everyone is so helpful

I live in the UK and harsh sun is not something I encounter often when I am shooting! I have taken over a 1000 shots with this lens in the past year with none of them showing flare until I took it out for an evening shoot in an atmospheric church graveyard. I wanted shots of the vintage looking lamps lighting the scene and got four green luminescent vertical lines appearing randomly in the picture.

Still all tools have their problems and in future I shall use my Sigma 10-20 DX lens for such shots. Another thing I shall try is my 6 stop ND filter and decrease the shutter speed. I am sceptical that it will work but it is worth trying.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow