Upgrade from Eos 40D

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Anil_Sharma New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Upgrade from Eos 40D

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

I have both full-frame and APS-C kits (until covid, photography was my work). Currently my APS-C bodies are the 7DII and 80D, although if and when my work resumes the 90D will replace its predecessor for its 4K and other video capabilities.

The 10-18, 18-135 and 55-250 make a terrific TRIO of lenses for APS-C bodies. I throw in a 50/1.8 STM for any low light stuff I might need and have a kit that can do just about anything I need it to. All three of these lenses punch over their price class; they're stabilized, sharp, lightweight and amazing small.

Canon offers great refurb deals on EFS lenses from time to time. I bought our 55-250 for just $109 on a Black Friday deal a few years ago.

We also have a 15-85 which I love as a one-lens-solution, particularly for travel. These days, however, my wife doesn't let me use it too much!

I have read about the 15-85 a lot. I might even not need the 10-18 if I buy this lens. However it is not listed on the Canon site in my country.

I like the 24-105 L, too, and it is a workhorse on my 5DIV. But you are correct: it leaves a bit to be desired on the wide end with APS-C bodies.

I am fond of shooting close up of flowers and I like this lens for the close focusing for flowers and I do not know whether I could be able do the same with the 15-85 or the 18-135.

As an aside, I recently picked up an Apachee 2800 hard case from Harbor Freight for less than $25 an an alternative to my big Pelican roller bag or less protective Domke bag. Fantastic. It holds all three of the lenses mentioned above along with an APS-C body plus spare battery and charger. It's rather tough and very protective. For the price, I can't recommend it enough. I was so happy with it that I went back later for the 4800 for a case that, with thoughtful cutting, holds my 5DIV, 7D, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105/4 IS, 17-40/4 and 100L Macro, plus spare batteries, charger, memory card case and two flashes. Amazing. (Maybe I'll post some pics tomorrow if anyone wants.)

I hope some of these comments help.

Thank you

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow