Fine art printer 17 or 24 inch to sit idle 6 months a year?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
sirkhann Regular Member • Posts: 330
Re: Fine art printer 17 or 24 inch to sit idle 6 months a year?

I had positive experience with Dye-based Canon printer in similar scenario, but in the long term, I'm hesitant whether this comes with no negative effects. My MP970 started showing some banding/streaks (it's probably about 10 years old), but printing in low volume and leaving it just sitting there prevents me to track back when the issue appeared, and was it there at the very beginning.

I have also spoken with a person from Canon locally, discussing about the same thing as I'm an amateur/enthusiast photographer, and having too much work for long periods of time sometimes prevents me from having any time to spend in side activities, including photography. This is what have been keeping me from getting a pigment-based printer on the first place. The rep told me he has a Pro-1000 printer in his office, that sometimes sits for months with no ill effects developed to date. I would take this statement with a grain of salt, anyway.

Assuming that the printer will go wild self-cleaning after such long pause, wouldn't it be more feasible for you to outsource the task to an external print studio?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow