Exploring wide end options

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 321
Re: Exploring wide end options

adventure_photo wrote:

Mark Sloe wrote:

adventure_photo wrote:

Some options I would personally consider based on your needs:

Sony 20 f/1.8 FE - maybe too close to 24 for you? But amazing small lens with fast aperture useful for many things and for me I find 20mm the perfect focal length for the way I see ‘wide angle’ and I do not find it too close to 24mm.

i were to stretch my budget in this focal length (which i will not this time around), i would go with loxia 21mm instead. but as mentioned, i would like something wider.

Understood, fwiw, I had the Zeiss Loxia 21 and it’s a fine lens for sure but 21mm was for me just too close to 24mm and overall I preferred the rendering from the Sony 20 1.8 and sold the Loxia to fund that. Plus the 20 is faster and better for Astro, AF when needed and shallow depth of field for creativity and closer focusing abilities were some of my main reasons.

it comes down to personal preference. i like the rendering of the loxia better, according to some reviews it is sharper across the frame (splitting hair really), solid astro performer, but this is a bonus for me as i get to shoot astro/nightscape rarely, sun stars are beautiful and the size is right. with my 24-105 @24mm  i shoot almost exclusively mf.

Zeiss Batis 18mm - bulkier than the Samyang but better image quality.

batis 18mm is very tempting, but fails on size and budget.

Sounds like Batis would work in terms of focal length but is too big and more expensive. Why not just try the Samyang 18mm and go for it? Might be the perfect size and fits the budget. Sounds like many people get great copies and really like it. Maybe try that and you can always return it or sell it if you don’t like it. B&H has it for $100 off now and it also has a 4.5/5 rating from people who bought it

samyang will be the direction i'll go making sure i get a decent copy. thank you very much for your thoughts.

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow