Some Stylus 1 thoughts.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 4,125
Some Stylus 1 thoughts.

I know it's a discontinued camera.  I had been eyeing one for years but I only picked one up in September.  With good handling, a wide zoom range and fast lens there is very little to compare which is as compact and convenient (and as much fun to shoot with)

I set it up with two custom settings, one for good light and one for indoors and gloomy conditions.  Of course I may have to fine tune the custom setting before use if necessary. Having workable custom settings means that I can just pull it out of my waist pouch and shoot....ideal for quick moving wildlife

The good light setting is aperture priority F4 and iso 100, with shutter speed floating.

I have been using aperture priority F2.8 and iso 400 for poor light. However I find that the lens is quite soft at 2.8 if I need to crop in (which I often do, even at 150mm for capturing a bird or butterfly). It sharpens up noticeably even at F3.2, but going for safety I am now setting F3.5 and iso 600.

That leads to the next point, although I have been very cautious about using higher iso, and my settings have been chosen accordingly, I am now trialling DXO PL, and am getting very acceptable results up to iso 800.

I have previously posted results comparing the Stylus 1 with my EM10ii and 14-150ii which clearly show that the Stylus 1 can more than hold its own.  With PL4 it becomes an even better proposition.

Enough rambling

Highly Recommended!

tom

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow