Canon R5 should be Dpreview product of the year

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Photofrankenstein Forum Member • Posts: 66
Canon R5 should be Dpreview product of the year

This is originally a comment I wanted to post on dpreview article but it went oversize.

I agree with most chosen winners in Dpreview but in my opinion, Canon has put the wrong sensor in R6. R6 should have been a better video tool with better low light performance, lower rolling shutter if it was given a water down version of R5 sensor. But it was given a 1DX III sensor older design, coarser fabrication process, higher power consumption, ending up average for low light performance, rolling shutter, and bothered with overheat from the get go. Just look at the competition, Sony sensor in all three major camera brands. A7R4 vs A7III, S1R vs S1H, Z7II vs Z6II, the higher pixel count version represents more still oriented, slower rolling shutter and worse high iso, and it is expected.

Kudos to R5, Canon has made a leap in its sensor as well as body performance.

IMO, R5 is the product of the year as far as dpreview concerned. Nothing comes close to push the envelope forward for such a large part of photo community. Maybe the new M1 chip Apple silicone based Macbook air and Macbook Pro should have won the accessory of the year because they are amazing in 422 10bit h265 video editing performance, beating machines cost 5x from Intel chips, while consuming 1/5 of the power. Seriously they are a god send gifts to R5 owners shooting 8k 4kHQ H265. Intel inside has become a joke and a sad slogan, Apple might as well advertise their new macbook with a "Intel not inside" sticker.

Other products are nice, especially those Nikon Z mount lenses, superb image quality corner to corner. However, I think they are less significant in terms of technology advancement and innovation, more of a refined evolution.

What you guys think?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow