New camera, or a new lens? Help...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stephen_H Junior Member • Posts: 46
New camera, or a new lens? Help...

Hi all.

I love my K-50 and it's served me really well, but I'm feeling a little left behind and I feel I'm about due for an upgrade. There are 2 areas that need help:

The auto focus is leaving me missing a few candid family photos. Understandable since the K-50 is now 7 years old. A K-70 or the KP will be be a welcome upgrade to this, I'm sure.

Then there is the lens I use the most: the 18-55 kit lens. The difference between the kit lens and the 35mm limited edition is vast, yet 90% of my photos are taken with the kit lens because of its convenient focal range. A better lens to replace the kit lens will also be a welcome upgrade.

However... I can only afford to do one, not both, so my question is this:

"Which will give me the greatest benefit... a new body, or a new lens?"

Note: My photography needs are broad from family shots at birthdays, to pack photography at the office. I'm not a professional so I don't earn anything from my camera. It's a hobby & a tool that my wife largely sees as a luxury with all the cellphones floating around.

-- hide signature --

Stephen H.
----------------------------------------------------------
Pentax K-50 with kit les (sorry) and the beautiful 35 macro limited.

Stephen_H's gear list:Stephen_H's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Pentax K-50 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow