Blue Light Anti Reflective Coating Glasses

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Mark H
Mark H Veteran Member • Posts: 3,814
Re: Anti Reflective Coating...

Billiam29 wrote:

Mark H wrote:

Billiam29 wrote:

I’m not sure what you’re considering the “front” surface, but anti-reflective coating only needs to be applied to the interior surface of eyeglass lenses. The surface facing your eyes. For eyeglasses there’s really no functional purpose to having it applied to the “exterior” surface that faces away from your eyes.

No.

The purpose of having anti-reflective coating on the front surface is to reduce the reflectivity of the spectacles to observers looking at the wearer.

For example, high refractive index materials (which enable thinner lenses) are increasingly 'reflective' - so this becomes a significant and undesirable issue.

So AR coating is partly about vision - and also, partly about 'appearance'.

I see your point and I definitely think it’s valid as appearance certainly is a large part of the overall eyeglass sales experience. To elaborate on my own perspective though, the appearance of eyeglasses to those that are not wearing the glasses isn’t a function of the anti-reflective coating.

It is an intended function (alongside the benefits to the wearer's vision).

It prevents the lenses from acting like semi-mirrors - which enables others to more clearly see the eyes of the wearer.

And, FWIW, it also increases the transmittance of the lens.

These are valued, sometimes important - and not insignificant - benefits.

It’s a cosmetic side benefit.

It's not merely 'cosmetic'.

In face to face communication people generally like to be able to clearly see another's eyes - and not be obscured by a veil of reflections.

From my perspective keeping light from the extreme periphery and rearwards of the lenses from reflecting into the wearer’s eyes is the core functional purpose if anti-reflective coatings.

From your perspective - except, your's is not the only perspective.

Now having said that, people commonly seem to spend absurd amounts of money for frames they think look nice while cheaping-out on the actual part of the glasses they look through with their eyeballs. So if anti-reflective coatings on both lens surfaces are pitched to make you “look nicer” that’s fine, but that’s marketing.

It not simply 'marketing'.

It's a legitimate, desirable and sometimes important function.

Have you never seen - for example - some TV presenter, or other. with lights, auto-cue, laptop screen, etc bouncing off the front of their glasses?

From my perspective that line of reasoning would be somewhat analogous to saying the nice looking expensive frames are changing the functionality of what the eyeglass frames are for, which they don’t. They just look nicer.

AR coating (in particular on the front surface) is not about just 'looking nicer'.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow