Lens purchase decision - advice please

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: Lens purchase decision - advice please

TeeJay626 wrote:

Nick5 wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

I apologize if this goes a little long, but I need advice on a purchase I will be making very soon. I've given advice several times here, but really need a little "nudge."

I primarily shoot wildlife, and every year, go on a multi-week trip out west, primarily to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. This past August, we also visited Glacier for the first time (wow!).

I currently have a Canon 77D (don't judge me lol) and for this year's trip, I rented a Canon 100-400L II. WOW! To say I was blown away is an understatement. I've owned L glass is the past, which was a 300L f4 IS prime, but this lens is in a league of it's own. Even my wife, who can never understand my frustrations when looking at IQ from a lens, admitted the pics were amazing.

So...

She gave me the go ahead to make the purchase. It should be a no brainer as the results spoke for themselves. But I am also considering another option. Here are my choices:

Canon 100-400L II at $2400US (possibly also getting the 1.4x III TC)

OR

Tamron 150-600 G2 at $1200 plus

Canon 70-200 f4 IS II OR Tamon 70-200 f2.8 G2 (varied prices)

I know in my head the Canon should win out here, seeing the results I got. It paired very well with my 77D. But, the other 2 lenses are also tempting as I've herd very good things about the newer Tamron 150-600, and you can't go wrong with either 70-200.

Thoughts???

You had me at “I shoot primarily Wildlife”

Canon 100-400 L IS Mark II.
Carry on.

I think you're right.

Buy once, cry once.  You will never regret it.

The 100-400 is my only telephoto zoom and probably the last one I will ever buy.  It's a true gem.

Just to add one advantage that it has over all of the other lenses that you are looking at, it has the best close focus of the bunch with O.27-1 magnification.  TCs will increase the magnification directly proportional to their focal length boosts.  So it's almost a macro lens, the perfect lens for a walk in the woods.  If the animals don't show up, there is always something small and interesting to shoot.

If you're wondering about the image stabilization on the 100-400, check out the shutter speed on the spider picture.

It's not bad for outdoor performances, either.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow