Nikon Z Cameras operating environment temperatures

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,204
Re: Nikon Z Cameras operating environment temperatures

dj_paige wrote:

I want to thank everyone who contributed. I learn so much from this forum! I have a Nikon D7000, so there's a lot to learn about my upcoming translation to mirrorless.

Most of the conversation has revolved around the electronic components. I don't believe that is the biggest issue. Remember that you have quite a few moving parts in the camera, and also the lens. However, mirrorless cameras have fewer moving parts than DSLRs due to the lack of the mirror assembly.

Lubricants have become far superior to those we had just 10 or 15 years ago. We have lubricants that can protect moving parts at really low temperatures without thickening up and locking up movement. Of course, not all lubricants are acceptable in a camera or lens due to lubricant creep in higher temperatures.

Cameras can handle low temperatures better than this old man. Funny how that wasn't a problem 30 years ago. As brought out in video links of Z cameras being successfully used on mountain treks, I don't think you will have any problems within the temperature range most of us would be willing to spend time. Batteries become the limiting factor. That's easily taken care of.

So, lubrication is probably not a major concern, and not the number one concern. Just remember electronics and condensation are not the only issues.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow