Something that Nikon needs to do...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 724
Re: Something that Nikon needs to do...

michaeladawson wrote:

m_black wrote:

Let’s get this out of the way: I will say I’m a Nikon fan-boi. Especially the Z’s now. But, I’ve been saying for a while that Nikon needs more dedicated video options.

Thoughts?

My thought is that I must be way out of step with the rest of the world. I've never owned a camcorder in my life and I don't ever use the video features in my DSLRs or Z7. I probably tried it out once to see how it worked. I also remember using my iPhone once to record calving glaciers in Alaska. No clue where that short clip is today.

I'm sure a big reason I couldn't care less about video is that I don't have kids. I've never had anything of interest to me that I wanted to record on video.

It doesn't bother me at all that camera companies put video in cameras. But I'm never going to look at a camera's video specs when deciding on a purchase.

Video captures the temporal dimension and also sound/audio/music, while stills only capture the physical dimensions. With easy video sharing these days, it is a no brainer. I could capture, edit, and upload videos to Youtube and have it played across all my devices, including casting to larger screens and projectors for that truly special feeling.

For example this is one of my very first edits (I used to be exclusively stills). Individual stills would not have the same emotion for the family watching it as this video had.

Z6 + 50mm f/1.8G + Polarizer + ND. Shot flat (internally) and edited to simulate one of the film stocks manually.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow