Do you store your edited photos as RAW, JPG, (resolution, compression)?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,898
Re: Do you store your edited photos as RAW, JPG, (resolution, compression)?

I use Lightroom, and normally shoot raw (except for jpegs from my phone). I always keep the originals of keepers. After initial processing, all keepers get at least 1 star rating. After a few months, I go through, check my ratings, and delete all no-stars. That means culling between 10% (only technical defectives) and 90%, depending on the nature of the shoot.

If I need to edit in Photoshop, then I will also keep the result - generally TIFF. If I'm sure I won't need to edit the TIFF again I might flatten layers to reduce size (unless an awful lot of work went into the TIFF), as I can always recreate again from the original.

If I export to jpeg, for exmaple to send to someone else or to the web, I delete the jpeg when I've sent/uploaded it; I can always export again.

The reason for keeping only the original plus edits is not to save space (which is cheap enough): it's for version control. The more copies of an image I have, the harder it becomes to keep track.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow