Nikon z6 ii control rings and buttons - suggested customisations?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morgs_B
Morgs_B Forum Member • Posts: 56
Nikon z6 ii control rings and buttons - suggested customisations?

I'm the proud owner of a brand spanking z6 ii. I'm glad I held off on getting the z6 and the additions are very welcome (charging via usb-c as I type).

I'm should start by saying - having been Panasonic and Blackmagic based for the last decade, and video cameras before that, I'm a total Nikon noob. I'm also just getting back into photography, with most experience being film based over a decade ago, so there's a welcome learning curve ahead on a bunch of fronts.

I'm reaching out to get feedback, and what you consider an essential customisation. Apologies if I'm duplicating threads, feel free to link me elsewhere.

While I realise I can customize nearly everything to do what I want, and am just getting started, a few defaults have left me scratching my head and am wondering if there's something I'm missing.

• The front control dial does nothing but changes ISO-auto off, unless I customise it?
  • I can't seem to use the front control dial for changing ISO or shutter - the customisations don't seem to be there.
  • In either A, S or P neither the front or back wheels by default do anything. At all (que?).

The only customisation I've made that I'll think I'll stick with:

• Fn2 to set image area (FX, DX), which has already been useful.

Thanks all, looking forward to seeing how you've tinkered!

Morgs_B's gear list:Morgs_B's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon Z6 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow