Should I sell my Canon EF 50mm 1.4 and get the RF 35mm Macro?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,422
Re: Should I sell my Canon EF 50mm 1.4 and get the RF 35mm Macro?

SmokinBanjo wrote:

I recently jumped to the full frame canon RP from my older canon xsi. I got a nice 24-70 to go along with it but there are some situations where I want a smaller lens. I currently have the Canon EF 50mm 1.4 and use it with the EF to RF adapter. I am considering going to the RF 35mm because it seems like it might be a little more versatile than the 50mm and without the adapter will be smaller.

No one but you can answer the question about what is most suitable fir you. However, it's a very easy question to answer: put your 24-70 at 35mm and use it for a period of at least a week or two (stick the zoom ring with a bit if tape to keep it at 35mm); then change to 50mm for a period.

Then appraise the photos you've taken critically - does one f the focal lengths jump out as being much more to your taste? If it does that's the FL to go with; if not, there's no indication either way.

The 50mm was a nice portrait lens for my crop sensor camera but it doesn't have as compelling of a use case for me now I am on a full frame. It is a fast lens which is nice for some situations and I will wonder if I will miss the extra speed.

Again, no one but you knows if you'll miss it. But if it is indeed "nice for some situations" why not keep it? There's no law that says you have to restrict your lens ownership.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow