Nikon Z Cameras operating environment temperatures

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,586
Re: Nikon Z Cameras operating environment temperatures

dj_paige wrote:

At the Nikon web site, I found that the Z 5, Z 6 and Z 6ii technical specifications list the operating temperature at 32 to 104 def F. As I live in Buffalo, NY, this would imply that I wouldn't be able to use the camera half of the winter.

Has anyone used one of these cameras in sub-freezing temps? Does it seem to operate normally?

OMG - Buffalo - I went to UB for grad school!

I'd say don't worry about it. I've shot Niagara Falls at night when they were frozen and the temps hovered around 0 F without issue - well other than the fact that I was the only idiot out there and nearly froze to death!

Now I will admit this was with a DSLR from another brand - but the listed specs for that camera were similar to those you quoted. The LCD worked fine. I'm not sure how low ambient temps impact the EVF on a mirrorless camera. Maybe someone else will chime in on that particular issue.

I'm guessing Nikon and other manufacturers are conservative when it comes to stating an operating temp range. Honestly, if you're out shooting in temps above 0 F, I think the biggest issue you will face is battery life. Keep a couple of spares in an inside pocket and you should be fine. These are pro grade cameras advertised to a wide range of users. Just imagine if places like Northern Europe couldn't use their cameras either for half the year!

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow