Choosing a more premium long zoom for GH5

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,234
Choosing a more premium long zoom for GH5

I shoot with GH5 primarily for video only. I currently have the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 in my arsenal for the rare occassion on shoots that call for a longer lens. I picked it up for $110 and it fits my need so far.

Up until now, when I travel, I still carry the Nikon D800 with its premium lenses for my still. I recently upgraded to GH5 from GH4 and in the process of streamlining my arsenal. I am more leaning towards shooting with only one camera for both still and video, with much heavier emphasis on video. I am looking for a long zoom that would give me the pleasing experience as my Nikon 80-400 G AF-S f4.5-5.6 and I know the Lumix Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 is no match for it. When I research for a more premium lens, I have found the following that seems to fit the bill:

A. Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO approx. used market price $850
B. Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Power OIS approx. used market price $950

So far this is what I found:

The Olympus seems to be more solid in term of build. Big plus is the fix F2.8 aperture (which equates to f5.6 in FF). The draw back is the lack of anti-vibration.

The Leica lens seems to have build slightly less than the Olympus and the aperture is practically f4 at the long end. But it is 100mm (equivalent) longer. I like the double anti-vibration when working with the GH5.

With the Olympus, if I turn on the IBIS of the GH5, how effective is the anti-vibration? Is it something that I can handhold when shooting still?

I would like to hear your comments regarding the pros and cons of these two lens to help me formulate my decision.

Many thanks.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow