How much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,252
Re: How much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6?

Yunfan wrote:

Hi there,

I am wondering how much price premium would you pay for Z6 II over Z6 and what's your reason behind it?

In the U.S., Z6 body is now on sale for Black Friday at $1600 while the Z6 II stays at $2000. I mainly shoot landscape, portraits but no sports or animals. I also do not care about the dual card slots as I will be using XQD or CFExpress anyway. I might eventually do a little bit of video though. An additional $200-300 seems to be the most I would pay for Z6 II so I am inclining towards the Z6 now. Just wondering what do you all think?

The second processor with significantly improved AF performance, faster write speeds, larger buffer, full support for CFExpress cards, and the dual card slots is worth closer to $500 for me.  The camera is a significant upgrade, and it's a platform that is two full years newer.  The newer platform is the one that will get the firmware updates and AF system improvements for the next couple of years.

If you are not willing to pay for the Z6ii, the Z5 is probably a better option than a Z6.  The big differences in the Z5 are mainly related to action photography - something where card speed and AF for action are important.  The Z5 lags behind there - but if that does not matter you might as well save the money.

If budget is tight, the lowest prices tend to be January-March - the final quarter of Nikon's fiscal year.  I would not expect discounts on the Z6ii body, but you may see some lens and camera bundles or refurb deals that are very good.  I expect to see the Z6 at $1399-1499 if they are not sold out earlier.

-- hide signature --
 ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow