When do you turn IS off?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff Wahaus Regular Member • Posts: 258
When do you turn IS off?

I'm wondering under what conditions would you want to turn IBIS off?  (apart from testing how effective the IBIS is working  )

I expect that at wide angle focal lengths with a decent shutter speed you don't really need IBIS but does leaving IBIS on negatively impact the image?

I've found that when using a telephoto lens on a tripod there is still a significant amount of camera shake.  Especially at the longer focal lengths (>200mm).   The act of pressing the shutter release introduces a significant amount of camera shake, also the wind can move the camera around on a tripod.  I'm a big fan of the remote release when using telephoto on a tripod but even still I wouldn't want to turn IS off.

If you want to introduce motion into your images then certainly turning the IS off is probabally a good idea.  But if you are after the sharpest image possible, are there times when you should turn off the IS?

Jeff Wahaus's gear list:Jeff Wahaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow