What is wrong with AF Area?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Re: What is wrong with AF Area - UPDATE OF ORIGINAL POST?

Just an update in picture descriptions because I did not explain what are the boxes on screenshots of the photos

Those first pictures are camera screenshots of playbacks of actual pictures. Those playbacks include focus points visualizations  - the camera stores such information which I find very useful while analysing pictures. I expect those stored focus points to be 100% consistent with what is actually in focus on the picture!

See below explanation from the Playback section in Z50 manual:

Now I understand why some of your comments seemed weird to me hahaha

Qbalion wrote:

Hi,

I noticed some strange focus behaviour on the last few pictures taken by someone else with my Z50. It seems like the camera focuses on a different area that is selected for the focus. Please see two below examples.

AF-C priority is set on the focus (not on release) and AF-S priority is not in the menu of Z50.

Any ideas what could cause such focus problems?

Camera screenshot of below picture in playback mode. Af area mark is over the middle person which is inconsistent with objects in focus (branches below)

and actual focus on the picture seem to be on the branches behind

Camera screenshot of below picture in playback mode. Af area points are over the branches in this picture which is inconsistent with objects in focus - right person head more or less

And the actual focus is luckily not that far from the face

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow